When Eli Shorter Jr.’s father, Congressman Eli Sims Shorter, Sr., died in 17879 Eli Jr. inherited the Shorter house and property on the bluff. Eli’s wife, Wylena Lamar, who was quite wealthy and used to getting her way, was unsuccessful in talking Eli Jr. into moving to town. However, after the Shorter home on the bluff burned in 1884, Eli and Wylena built what is now known as Shorter Mansion on North Eufaula Avenue in downtown Eufaula. The 1880s house was much smaller and less grand the current mansion which was extensively expanded and remodeled from 1901 – 1906 by Eli and Wylena.
Shorter Mansion has been the home of the Eufaula Heritage Association since the Association purchased the property from Shorter family descendants in 1965. Shorter Mansions serves as the Headquarters of the Eufaula Heritage Association and is open to the public for tours.
It is beautifully furnished in period antiques many of which belonged to the Shorter family. It also contains a museum and memorial to the six governors of Alabama that were from Barbour County and to Admiral Tom Moorer who served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs. The house has been designated by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as an outstanding example of Greek revival architecture.
Shorter Mansion at 340 North Eufaula Avenue is open for tours Monday 10 AM through Saturday 10 AM until 4 PM. If you have not been on the tour it is a must see place in Eufaula. For more information call Shorter Mansion at 334-687-3793 or visit their web site at: https://www.eufaulapilgrimage.com/page/page-3/